The SPCA is temporarily located at 1966 Crompond Rd. in Cortlandt Manor while we rebuild our campus in Briarcliff. The SPCA is open to the public by appointment only. For general inquiries email info@spca914.org. For adoptions email shelter@spca914.org. To reach our Clinic call 941-2896 ext. 10.

MISSION/HISTORY

MISSION STATEMENT

The SPCA of Westchester is a no-kill, 501(c)3 not-for-profit animal welfare organization dedicated to saving homeless, abused and abandoned animals and to protecting animals from cruelty and neglect through education and enforcement of humane laws.

OUR HISTORY

The SPCA of Westchester is one of the oldest humane societies in the United States. It was founded in 1883 by Ossining resident Mary Dusenberry after she observed horses being abused as they delivered heavy loads of coal. Together with caring friends, Mrs. Dusenberry obtained land on which to build the Society’s first home and established a fund to be used to prevent cruelty to animals.

The SPCA is still located on the same spot, making it one of the oldest landholders in Briarcliff Manor. Originally affiliated with the ASPCA, the SPCA became an independent organization in the 1920’s and does NOT receive funding from the ASPCA any national animal welfare organizations. Recognized as a “no-kill” shelter, the SPCA is committed to finding homes for all adoptable animals regardless of space or length of stay.

More than 4,000 orphaned animals and pets are supported every year through the SPCA’s many life-saving rescue and community outreach programs.

Learn more about the many programs we offer at the SPCA.

Menu